Monday, April 28, 2014

Nail Art | Cherry Blossoms Revisited

This past weekend was the Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. I shared a bunch of snaps from the event here. I love cherry blossoms so much and decided I had to do cherry blossom nail art for Sakura. Though, I did Cherry Blossom Nail Art last year, I decided to try a different technique, and I have to say, I am quite liking the results. I love the impressionistic vibe.


I only used one tool! What?! Well, and plenty of different polishes. I started with a base of Cult Nails Botanical Base Coat. Then followed that up with two coats of my chosen background colour-Julep Simone, an opalescent mint green. For the branches, I used Zoya Normani, a creme greige, with the smaller end of a dotting tool. For the petals, I dabbed out several pink shades onto a piece of cardboard, so I could swirl them and mix them. Specifically, I used Butter London Fruit Machine, Julep Teri, Zoya Jacqueline, and American Apparel Rouge. I used the larger end of the same dotting tool to dot on the petals. I varied the colours randomly, trying not to make to big of blobs so that it would dry evenly and be easily smoothed over with a top coat. After that dried a bit, I used Julep Ta Da! Quick Dry Drops to help set the nail art before I applied my top coat. I didn't want to chance any smearing. I made sure to wash my hands after the quick dry drops and before top coat so no residue remained. I sealed the design with Duricote Miracote and another round of Julep Ta Da!

I varied the direction of the branches for less of a patterned look and more of a painting look. I love how some of the marbling shows through in the petals. You definitely can use any polishes for your petals. I decided to use pink shades that were cool and warm for variation.

It's pretty easy to create the design with the dotting tool, and imperfections are easily remedied or blend right in. I was able to do my non-dominant hand without too much extra difficulty. I am going to have to get creative if I plan on doing Cherry Blossom's each year! Though, I kind of just want to wear this polish forever...

Have you ever done Cherry Blossom Nails?

No comments:

Post a Comment